Sunday, February 15, 2009

<3

"What shall I wish thee for the coming year?"

Twelve months of dream-like ease? No care? No pain?

Bright spring, calm summer, autumn without rain

Of bitter tear? Wouldst have it thus, my friend?

What lesson, then were learnt at year’s end?

What shall I wish thee, then?

God knoweth well if I could have my way

No shade of woe should ever dim thy sunshine;

But I know strong courage is not learnt in happy sleep

Nor patience sweet by eyes that never weep.

Ah, would my wishes were of more avail

To keep from thee the many jars of life!

Still let me wish thee courage for the strife~

The happiness that comes of work well done.

And, afterward, the peace of victory won.


hi afton

2 comments:

aftonjylare said...

addie you are a jewel. happy sunday friend. i love this <3

Ariel said...

that is officially my new favorite poem. absolutely beautiful