Wednesday, September 9, 2009

rock 'n rant

as we speak, the underneaths of my fingertips are dying. in a good way -- soon it won't be so painful to repeat my g, c, d, a, and occasional e and f chords. then i will really be able to rock... or will i? i've been reading guitar for dumbies and looking up "guitar lessons" on google and youtube, but it only seems to get me so far. like i said, i have mastered these limited but pertinent chords, and i am pretty solid in my understandings of FACE and every good boy does fine. i am even starting to enjoy trying out tablature of all kinds. but here's my question, how do i cross the bridge from beginner to intermediate or even skilled? when and how does my left hand get to play on the far right of the neck of the guitar? when does my right hand get to prick instead of simply strum? when will my information upon information finally take me to that next level? how do people teach themselves the workings of this magical instrument and most importantly, how did jack white become jack white? he is rolling stone's 17th best guitarist of all time, you know. let me guess -- it's all that theory that i avoided in piano lessons and choir. send me your tricks!

ps- it also doesn't help that whilst i was visiting home i had my dads $500+ taylor acoustic to practice on, and now i've returned to my $60 johnson toy. at least it's pink.

1 comment:

J McO (change later) said...

Theory can suck it. All you need is soul/love.