Thursday, September 25, 2008

adrienne barringer

i named this post after myself.

Lately i've been watching a lot of movies on www.surfthechannel.com. If you have never heard of this site, I apologize for being the cause of your future wasted time. These are the movies i've watched and my brief opinion on them.

Lars and the Real GirlI thought this movie was whimsical, funny, and moving! JK! but i really did! definitely my favorite movie i've seen lately. it's all about the characters and their development and i've come to learn that this is what i appreciate the most in movies. and i feel like it had some GREAT acting that contributed a lot to the touching plot. really really good. two thumbs up for you lars.

PsychoI am getting ready for Halloween. and i've never seen this before. can you believe that? The simpsons episode referencing bates motel was just way over my head. i liked this movie! 7 out of 10! Sometimes these older movies are too slow for me but i was able to follow this one. It's a classic horror film plot, and i think i read that it was the first scary movie to focus on psychoanalytical material. cool! one downfall though, i didn't think the shower scene was all it's cracked up to be. nonetheless, hitchcock, you're the man.

Hannibal Rising
Without Hopkins, who cares?

No Country for Old Men
Obviously the cohen brothers can do no wrong, but it wasn't my favorite. basically: good acting, cool but not a seemingly super original plot, too much gore, pretty cinematography, minimal dialogue, very minimal soundtrack (like, there's almost no music. kinda cool kinda lame.) i also have a problem with storylines not being wrapped up. it kind of makes me want to die. meh.

Aside from those, i started watching Ratatouille and Wristcutters, but got ADD about 30 minutes into each. They both seemed pretty good, so maybe i'll finish them someday. Next i plan to watch Ingmar Bergman's Seventh Seal, because i heard it's his best movie.. and also the site doesn't have Persona. sad.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? :)

7 comments:

aftonjylare said...

such a lovely name.

Chris Almond said...

other good sites www.tv-links.cc www.alluc.org

Unknown said...

Hey Addie - I loved that first movie - but I hate scary movies. Don't they make you feel all yucky inside ? not a good feeling and not one I strive for. I will have to think of some good ones and let you know.

Marissa N. Paolacci said...

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyya

J McO (change later) said...

My recommendation = finish Wristcutters. Not because Waits is in it, though.

Marissa N. Paolacci said...

because james is emo

aftonjylare said...

see Bajo La Misma Luna or The Same Moon. i just saw it tonight. <3